How-To Paint By Numbers
The Beginners Guide To Painting A DIY Canvas
So you've just gotten your first paint by numbers kit, and you're feeling overwhelmed. Not to fear, we can help! Before you start your first paint by numbers kit, be sure to read these tips.
BEFORE YOU BEGIN
- Find a nicely lit area to start on your painting so you can see your work clearly.
- Make sure your surface is protected - a plastic table cloth or some newspaper will work well.
- Have a container of water close by to clean your brushes in between colours.
- Also, be sure to have a cloth or some paper towel to dry your brushes in between washes.
DURING THE PAINTING PROCESS
- This seems like an obvious step but when you’re painting the numbers matching to the correct colours, try and only paint areas with that colour before moving on to the next part of the painting.
- Let those areas dry before moving on to another colour. Clean your brushes with the water in between, enough that no colour runs onto a cloth or paper towel once washed. This will prevent any colours mixing or bleeding into each other. You may need to use a very mild soap with lukewarm water.
- It may take an extra layer of paint to cover the numbers completely but just be careful and take your time so you don’t end up using too much paint.
- Another painting tip for your DIY Canvas, is to start at the top and work your way down if you can, working on the smallest areas first, as this will help prevent smudging the paint with your hand!
SOME OTHER USEFULL TIPS
- If you need to, use a magnifying glass to paint the smaller, trickier areas.
- If you’re a complete painting beginner, practice some brush strokes on a piece of paper to get used to how much or how little paint you will need on your brush. This will save you from going over any borders or putting on too much paint on your actual canvas.
- Don’t rush your painting, give plenty of drying time between colours and paint carefully to avoid mistakes. It will be worth it in the end!
WHEN YOU'RE DONE
The only thing left for you to do is to find somewhere perfect for it to hang in your home! Enjoy!